Manistee River steelhead fishing is some of the best steelhead fly fishing in the Great Lakes, maybe even the lower 48 states. Anglers from all over the country travel to Michigan for Manistee River steelhead fishing. The Manistee and other northwest lower Michigan rivers have steelhead in them from late September to well into May.
Top Five Spring Steelhead Flies Most fly anglers eagerly await the start of the spring steelhead run. In this blog post I want to point out what I believe are the top five spring steelhead flies and when to use them. Any list of the top five steelhead flies for spring or for anytime has […]
Orvis Underwader Pant Review
Orvis has recently produced an upgraded version of their Underwader Pants and I must say it is a significant upgrade! Boasting a dark charcoal color and chartreuse stitching these pants offer a comfortable contoured fit. The pants are very warm and will keep your pant legs from crawling up your legs as they easily slip into your waders. I also find the Underwader Pant great for lounging after a long day on the water or afield yet stylish enough to run my errands or grab a bite to eat on the way home. Other features include two deep front pockets, zippered rear pocket, elastic waistband, and a drawstring to fine-tune your fit. Hands down my favorite under wader pant on the rack, TWO THUMBS UP!
- Couple New Manistee River Fishing reports have been posted the past couple days. Jon Ray and Ed McCoy have been out chasing winter steelhead. The Manistee River is fishing well, with a good mixture of chrome hens and winter double stripped bucks.
- New February Newsletter – new fly pattern for matching the salmon parr hatch this is about to occur. This little guy matches the hatch, you don’t need to always throw big to catch nice trout.
- Couple new reports the past few days on the Manistee River and both Ed McCoy and myself had a chance to get out. Water is still not that clean, so making fishing still a little more difficult than we like, but some nice fish are around.
- 2016 Winter Project is to expand the Fly Patterns Page, so far have added the Triple Double and Mad Pup. Look for this page to grow over the winter, as Ed McCoy, Russ Maddin, Chuck, and myself sit down and tie patterns that we can share.
- Speaking of new Patterns the Flash Monkey is coming soon to Mangled Flies VOD page. The Flash Monkey is a Russ Maddin pattern that has been a work in progress for the past 2 years. This pattern has caught all the major predators pike, trout, salmon, and steelhead.
Check out the New Fishing Report Here. Water is dropping and clearing while some new fish have entered the system. The 10 day forecast is still looking to be unseasonably warm don’t miss out on the extended swing season!
Also if your looking for a few Holiday Gift Ideas, Mangled Fly has put together a Holiday Wish List. Enjoy the Holidays and Happy Shopping. Shop Local whenever possible!